The immense trek is over

3:35 PM

Okay so we've done 650 kilometers in 4 days. We did the mad drive up to Coopers Beach to visit Rob's Nan - it should have taken 4 hours, it took more like 5 hours by the time we followed the Twin Coast Discovery route that everyone told us to follow. Problem was it went off the main highway, took you out to coastal towns then looped back again. It was the most indirect route I think you could possibly follow. Coming back was much quicker for sure. We just followed Highway 10 and 1 and got back much quicker. Sure the scenery is very pretty, but 5 hours in a tiny little roller-skate of a car is not a funny joke by any means. (I'll post photos later - I'm on a friend's dial-up connection and its slower than a snail on ritalin).

Nan was going well which was good. I'm frightened that she's going to die up there alone though and not be found by anyone. It's the back of beyond, and when your advancing in years with a number of medical complaints, and the nearest hospital is at least an hour away, its scary stuff. I think she appreciated the visit, and it was worth the effort of going up there. We went down the beach for a look, and it was blowing a frickin gale - sand was swirling down the beach in cloudy waves. I had considered driving to Cape Reinga for a look since I've never been there, but when we were told it was another 4 hours, we quickly squashed that idea. I didn't fancy an 8 hour return trip.

Rob wasn't able to extend our tickets any longer, so we're coming up with a Plan B. I'm giving up racing around town trying to chase people up - now I'm just going to organise to meet at the pub on Friday and they can come to me (or not, there choice!). I've got too much to do and too little time, and I don't want to spend my holiday chasing after people anymore. I'm definitely not going to spend all of tomorrow in the car.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook